Dr. Bettina E. Schirrmeister
Welcome to my personal profile webpage. On Betty’s Blog I am introducing some basic coding solutions for data analysis and visualization. Also have a look at the Image gallery for some nice plots. Please feel free to have a look at my Linkedin Profile, and previous Research Project Webpage. You can also look out for me on dev.to, Kaggle, Stack Overflow, Codewars, Github and twitter .
Who am I?
An enthusiastic, fast-learning, experienced scientist, with excellent communication skills. Following an exciting Academic career, I decided to explore professional Data Science, looking for ambitious challenges, eager to combine my experience in data munging, analytics and visualization with my problem solving skills and entrepreneurial spirit, to help making data-driven and, most of all, actionable decisions for innovative businesses.
I received my MSc in Statistical Population Genetics from the University of Munich and completed a PhD at the University of Zurich in Evolutionary Genomics and computational biology in 2012. During two independent research fellowships at the University of Bristol, I was applying big data analytics on genomic next generation sequencing data to investigate the origin of life. Following a data science fellowship with the company PIVIGO in 2016, applying time series forecasting techniques, I have been working at Royal Mail as a senior data scientist since 2019. My work focuses on developing a variety of Data Science solutions around forecasting and predictive analytics for HR, Sales, business operations and marketing, emphasizing data-driven decision making.
- Lead a team of 7 (data scientists and data engineers) to successfully implement the technical part for one of Royal Mails capital projects regarding predicting parcel delivery windows. Resposible for all technical-data science related aspects of the project, interacting with multiple teams within the business and communicating with major stakeholders.
- Lead, developed and implemented a predictive project that has a savings potential of £6M for Royal Mail. Responsible for end to end solution, including communication to senior stakeholders.
- Created a business case for two high impact research projects. Established an international, multi-disciplinary network, conducted POC studies, and held budgetary responsibility. Competitive research fellowships have been awarded at a total value of €355K (My University profile)
- Various keynote talks at international conferences, included several awards for outstanding oral and visual presentation. (My presentations)
- Frequent media coverage of my research. Latest article by BBC Earth online.
Education and Experience:
present Senior Data Scientist |Royal Mail – Advanced Analytics – Group Business Intelligence, London, UK
2019 Data Scientist | Royal Mail – Advanced Analytics – Group Business Intelligence, London, UK
2016 Data Science Fellow | Science to Data Science (S2DS; s2ds.org), London, UK
2016 Individual Postdoctoral Researcher | University of Bristol, UK [EU-Grant: Marie Curie Actions – project webpage: http://evoxyproject.wordpress.com ]
2014 Individual Postdoctoral Researcher | University of Bristol, UK [Swiss-Grant: Swiss National Science Fund]
2012 Doctor of Science (Dr.sc.nat.) | University of Zurich, Switzerland – Evolutionary Genetics, Computational Biology, Microbiology
2006 Master of Science (German: “Diplom”) | University of Munich, Germany – Statistical Population Genetics, Evolutionary Biology